Small World Theatre
Bath House Road, Cardigan
The near zero carbon venue was built using materials from renewable or recycled sources, minimising materials with high embodied energy , employing local labour, and the venue is powered by renewable sources.
The theatre features:
- High levels of natural light and ventilation and solar gain from the atrium
- Building insulation made from recycled materials
- An air source heat pump feeding under floor heating producing a ratio of up to 3.5 times heat output to power input.
- Solar PV panels and a Solar Thermal Unit supplying hot water to the taps and shower
- Rainwater harvesting recycling system for all hot water and toilet dual flush
- Using local timber in the structural frame, with clay / lime render on willow lath on the frontage and minimising structural steel
- The re-use of Cardigan brick in the lobby. These bricks were fired about 100 years ago just a few hundred yards away from clay dug from the site
- Built on a brownfield site and cut and fill in groundwork to avoid off-site disposal
- Roofs are covered in sedum, which reduces water run off and increases biodiversity
- All labour from local community (including a group of loyal volunteers) keeping the money in the local economy
For events listing and venue hire visit:
www.smallworld.org.uk 01239 615 952
Kindavillage is an 80 acre community farm near Pencader in the Teifi Valley, with well-being and sufficiency at its core. If you’re looking for a nature-based venue to run your courses from , or for fulfilling, educational and fun courses, get in touch:
01559 395 253
Quiet Earth Eco Retreat
This woodland eco home was the UK’s first two storey loadbearing straw bale house, created from low impact and natural materials. It has an off grid system powered by the sun and the wind. It uses bio mass heating with coppiced wood from the woodland, a rainwater harvesting system and waste is composted on site through an aquatron system.
Quiet Earth hosts and is available for creative retreats in natural and contemplative living.
For courses, events and to stay see:
Felinganol Woodland Studio and Retreat
Large strawbale roundhouse studio space with wood-burner and underfloor heating and eco retreat cabins with composting toilets, solar-electricity, wood-fired hot tub, catering lodge and covered bonfire area. Using recycled or locally-sourced materials Felinganol is built directly from the land.
Catering from Felinganol home grown organic vegetables garden by a team of local chefs and nature lovers. Set in a secluded woodland between Cardigan and Mwnt beach with the Mwldan river flowing through.
Regularly hosts Yoga, meditation, Qi Gong and contemplative arts events and gatherings encouraging interaction with the enviroment.